Status of Education Abroad Applications & Programs
Our office is excited to resume education abroad in a safe and responsible way beginning in January 2022.
As we resume international travel, international conditions are still very fluid and conditions in specific destinations may change quickly resulting in cancelation of the planned study abroad experience. Students are expected to be in regular communication with the Education Abroad staff, have a back-up academic continuity plan, and be flexible with their program selection.
Process to Apply Summer, Fall, or Academic Year 2022
- Attend a Study Abroad 101 Session
- Complete Advising Profile in goabroad.umbc.edu
- Meet with an Education Abroad Advisor
- NOTE: If you do not have a passport or need to renew it for the summer 2022 term, you need to do so immediately, as Passport Services are severely delayed. It will take about 18 weeks from application to delivery.
The Education Abroad office will no longer be publishing a list of “Approved Programs” for COVID-19-related travel. Students may apply to all programs currently available at goabroad.umbc.edu. Students will be advised through Study Abroad 101, peer advising (optional) and their Education Abroad Advising appointment on how to make an educated decision based on current COVID data available from trusted sources.
Pursuant to the UMBC International Travel Policy (ITP), students are permitted to apply to study abroad in locations that have a Department of State Level 1 or 2 travel advisory and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Travel Health Notice of 1 or 2 and on programs that have sufficient health and safety support.
- International Travel Policy: https://www.umbc.edu/policies/pdfs/International%20Travel%20Policy%20VIII11.00.02.pdf
- UMBC Retriever Ready: COVID-19 Response: https://covid19.umbc.edu/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- General Travel Notices: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices
- COVID-19 Travel Notices: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/noticescovid19
- Safer Travel Ideas: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
U.S. Department of State
- Travel Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html
- International Travel Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html
- COVID-19 Traveler Information Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html
- Travel Advisories by Country: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/