Status of Education Abroad Applications & Programs
Our office is excited to resume education abroad in a safe and responsible way beginning in January 2022.
At this time, applications will only be able to be opened for specific program types in specific locations based on the latest guidance and best practices. The Education Abroad team will be conducting regular reviews of program locations to monitor the safety conditions. While applications will be open, studying abroad is not guaranteed. A program may be cancelled up to the departure date if conditions warrant.
As we resume international travel, international conditions are still very fluid and conditions in specific destinations may change quickly resulting in cancelation of the planned study abroad experience. Students are expected to be in regular communication with the Education Abroad staff, have a back-up academic continuity plan, and be flexible with their program selection.
Pursuant to the UMBC International Travel Policy (ITP), students are able to study abroad in locations that have a Department of State Level 1 or 2 travel advisory and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Travel Health Notice of 1 or 2 and on programs that have sufficient health and safety support.
At this time, students planning to study abroad during summer 2022, fall 2022 or academic year 2022-2023 are invited to make an advising appointment as long as the first steps are met. Program options are available on our Study Abroad Portal. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. To get started, students need to attend a Study Abroad 101 session and compete an advising profile in our portal.
Students interested in studying abroad close to their graduation term should reach out to our office about possible options.
The first step in the study abroad process: Study Abroad 101! This half-hour session explains how you can fit study abroad into your academic plan at UMBC and only has to be attended once. Get started today to ensure you can study abroad during your undergraduate degree. Meeting details are listed in our events!
Process to Apply Summer, Fall, or Academic Year 2022
- Review List of Approved Programs for Winter 2022 and Spring 2022 (summer, fall list available in December)
- Attend a Study Abroad 101 Session
- Complete Advising Profile in goabroad.umbc.edu
- Meet with an Education Abroad Advisor
- NOTE: If you do not have a passport or need to renew it for the summer 2022 term, you need to do so immediately, as Passport Services are severely delayed. It will take about 18 weeks from application to delivery.
- International Travel Policy: https://www.umbc.edu/policies/pdfs/International%20Travel%20Policy%20VIII11.00.02.pdf
- UMBC Retriever Ready: COVID-19 Response: https://covid19.umbc.edu/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- General Travel Notices: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices
- COVID-19 Travel Notices: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/noticescovid19
- Safer Travel Ideas: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
U.S. Department of State
- Travel Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html
- International Travel Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html
- COVID-19 Traveler Information Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html
- Travel Advisories by Country: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/