How do I know if I’m eligible to study abroad?

  • Sophomores, juniors, and seniors in good academic standing are eligible for semester- and year-long study abroad programs.
  • Freshmen may apply for some summer and winter-term programs.
  • Transfer students may apply after completing one semester at UMBC.
  • Students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA (each program has slightly different eligibility standards, certain individual programs have higher GPA requirements)

Students who do not have the required GPA may consult the Education Abroad Office for special approval procedures.

Students currently on academic or judicial probation are not eligible for study abroad programs, and should wait until their academic or judicial situation improves before applying to a study abroad program.