You may need a visa to enter and live in your host country.
- It is the responsibility of the student to obtain the appropriate visa to study abroad. The Education Abroad office is unable to offer assistance with this process.
- Some visas have a processing time as long as 3 months.
- You must have your passport before you can apply for a visa and it should be valid within 6 months of the end date of your program.
- Visa requirements vary by country, citizenship, and length of study. You can find general travel information about your country, including details about visas, by searching Country Information at travel.state.gov.
- Check the embassy website of the country you will be visiting or your program for more specific visa information.
If you need to obtain a visa for your host country, your visa requirements may differ than those for US citizens. If you are studying at UMBC on an F-1 student visa, you must check with the Center for Global Engagement to obtain the appropriate travel signatures.
You may need other official documents in order to study abroad.