Skip to Main Content

Financial Aid and Scholarship Transfer

Using Your Financial Aid and Scholarships on Study Abroad Programs

Financial Aid and Scholarships: You must apply for your federal financial aid (loans, Pell Grant) and UMBC merit scholarships to transfer by December 10 for winter and spring programs and May 10 for summer and fall/academic year programs. For this you need to complete two tasks:

  1. Request an Official Study Abroad Budget from the Study Abroad Office
  2. Take your budget to your financial aid counselor
    1. Students must schedule an appointment with their Financial Aid Counselor at least 60 days prior to their departure date, or UMBC’s semester start date, whichever is earlier.

If you want to transfer your financial aid or scholarships, you must request an Official Study Abroad Budget from the SAO. Your Official Budget consists of tuition, fees, room, board, airfare, passport, visa, and personal spending money. Send an e-mail to the Study Abroad Office with the subject of “Study Abroad Budget” and include the following information: the URL of the finance (or fees) page of your study abroad program and your student ID number. You can usually find this information online at your study abroad program’s website.

  • For example, if you are applying for the University of Minnesota Studies in International Development Program in India, you would provide this link.
  • If you are participating in a UMBC exchange program, please request a budget saying you are participating in a UMBC exchange; we have standard budgets for all of our UMBC exchange programs.
  • You do not need to request this if you do not plan to use financial aid or scholarship money.
  • You will be contacted when your budget is ready, please allow 2-3 business days for this to be completed.

For more specific instructions and information on the transfer of your aid, please contact your financial aid counselor.

You are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships.

  • For UMBC Merit Scholarships you need to submit the Official Study Abroad Budget, a copy of your completed VOT form and letter of acceptance to your financial aid counselor in the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. Meyerhoff Scholars must take at least two science courses abroad. NOTE: Merit scholarships transfer for one semester only. You must apply prior to departure to have them transfer for more than one semester.
  • For Federal or Maryland State Aid you need to bring the Official Study Abroad Budget, a copy of your completed VOT form and acceptance letter to your financial aid counselor in the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and sign their Statement of Understanding.  Maryland State Aid can only be used for University System of Maryland programs.
  • For Private Scholarships you need to confirm requirements with the scholarship provider and contact the SAO if they require support documentation.